Elgin broom bear hydraulic problem

Basic info about where you are and how the Discussion Forum works.

Moderators: Dwan, Karl Stauty, Tom_in_CA

Ozzies sweeping
Anti-Spam Number: 3

Elgin broom bear hydraulic problem

Post by Ozzies sweeping » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:10 pm

Hello everyone, I have a 2002 freightliner fl70 with a Elgin broom bear mechanical sweeper on it. I have had a problem with my main broom, shoes, and elevator sinking. As soon as I lift them they sink. I have replaced the hydraulic cylinders hoses etc. I cannot seem to figure out why they sink. The only way to hold them up now is to tie them up and hold them in place with chains which is very inconvenient. I’m just wondering if anyone else had had this same issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Re: Elgin broom bear hydraulic problem

Post by Tom_in_CA » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:17 pm

Hey there Ozzie. Welcome aboard. I have heard this called "lazy hydraulics". Where you come out the next morning, and your broom is down. And it's simply a matter of ... when you start up the unit, you just raise it back up before you start driving to your location.

But it sounds like your sinkage is immediate ?? Ie.: no sooner do you raise it, than it slouches back down ? Do you see any hydraulic fluid drip puddles ?

I'm not the mechanic here, but will confer with my partner-mechanic tomorrow, and get back to this thread with an answer. Check back ........

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator

Post by Tom_in_CA » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:39 am

My partner mechanic says that it sounds like either a 1) "Lock valve" component of your hydraulic system. Or 2) hydraulic ram internal leakage .

We only briefly had a Broom Bear . So we're not sure if there's something specific to Broom Bears about this. For example: On any Mobil sweepers (Topguns, etc...) : When the main broom is drawn into the up position, it has a pivot system in the raise arms, that makes it stay in the up position. EVEN if the hydraulics went out. Until you purposefully lower it back down.

Good luck !

Ozzies sweeping
Anti-Spam Number: 3

Post by Ozzies sweeping » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:46 pm

Hey Tom, thanks for the info. So after a little research and speaking with a few of the folks at Owen equipment, they advised me to try changing out my check valve part# 5713219 and it actually worked. The reason I believe my hydraulics were sinking is because the seals on the check valve were completely gone. Thanks for all you help, it is greatly appreciated.

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator

Post by Tom_in_CA » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:26 am

Bingo. Now go out and make some money ! :)

Return to “Start Here”